Wednesday, August 19, 2020

NBA: Playoff Update

My friends here at Average at Best dubbed me the NBA guru and it went to my head as I poorly predicted some first round action. As I stated on my personal account: I'm guilty of watching box scores and highlights. I'm sorry! But you can't tell me Skip Bayless has ever watched an NBA game and that man gets paid. Our bar may not be that low, but come on it's in the name "Average at Best."

Both one seeds lost game 1. Hasn't happened since 2003. Tough to predict there, but the trailblazers weren't even crazy big underdogs in the sports book. It's hard to bet against Dame but it's even harder to bet against LeBron. (After some research, LeBron is close to 50/50 both a the favorite and as an underdog ATS, so to claim it's hard to bet against him is more of my personal opinion.) In 2003, both of the one seeds went on to win their series, however they weren't playing on a neutral court without fans. Obviously neither team is ready to hit the panic button, but this is the bubble so be prepared for some ridiculous upsets that fans will try to asterisk away given the circumstances. 

My hot take on the Mavericks doesn't feel so crazy after 1.5 games. (As I write, the Mavs are up at half.) They are down 0-1, but Kristaps Porzingis was ejected on some soft shit. ESPN says he was "being an escalator" in the situation. If that's the case, Pat Bev should be out every game he's ever played in. Had Kristaps finished the game, it's hard to say the Mavericks wouldn't have pulled it off. Luka had a casual 42, 9, & 7 and the unicorn added another 14 points in limited play time. Tim Hardaway Jr. had 18 but he was also throwing shit at the hoop. The Knicks really paid that guy LMFAOOOOO. Clippers played well though obviously well enough to win. They forced Luka into double digit turnovers. Kawhi and PG combined for 56 and PG hit a dagger late in the 4th to put it away. 

Side note: Why does it seem like Kawhi never scores more than 30? I'm definitely wrong to think this. Let me fact check again. Oh Jesus, Kawhi had 14 thirty point games in the playoffs alone last year. NVM. NBA Guru strikes again.

Another series that appears to be a huge miss: Celtics are up 2-0 after tonight. In my defense I said BOTH the Celtics and 76ers are overrated. I guess the 76ers are just more overrated. I had Philly in 7, so we can't write that one off quite yet. 

Anyways, Heat, Raptors, Rockets, & Nuggets all handled their business for me. Stay tuned for another brief NBA update here soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment