Monday, August 17, 2020

NBA PLAYOFFS: Predicting the East

 Yesterday, the Blazers defeated the Grizzlies in their mini series to determine the Western Conference 8th seed. Congrats to the six of us who correctly guessed that. It makes my Western Conference preview look way better in hindsight. Before the east tips off tomorrow at 3:00, I want to get some Average at best predictions and previews out there: 

FIRST ROUND: 

The Eastern Conference in my lifetime has been so top heavy and thus created some lop sided matchups in round one. This year is no different for the Bucks vs. Magic. Honestly not gonna entertain this one too much. Jonathon Isaac fell from my my 178th favorite NBA player down to 359th, right ahead of Solomon Hill. Bucks in six? No grab the broom please. 

Milwaukee Bucks: Year of Giannis Antetokounmpo speculation is underway

Prediction: Bucks 4-0

Magic vs. Bird? Close, Pacers vs. Heat is bringing us a whole series of TJ Warren vs. Jimmy Butler. We all know about their feud, but Jimmy Butler says "[the beef] is something of the past." We'll see if TJ feels the same way. After being called trash in January, TJ warren came out HOT in the bubble averaging nearly 40 ppg on 65.3% shooting. I'm guessing bubble rules aren't allowing them to kiss again, though. Both these teams are sneaky good and honestly I think they could both challenge the Bucks in the second round. 

Was there prior beef between T.J. Warren and Jimmy Butler? An ...

Prediction: Heat 4-3

Probably the best first round matchup in the playoffs: Celtics vs. 76ers. I'm not a huge fan of either of these teams or the hype around them. Lately, I've felt that both Boston and Philly have been super overrated and un-impressive in their playoff performances since 2018. That being said, I think it makes for a perfect matchup. One of these teams needs to be knocked out early and reevaluate where they are as an organization. I think the 76ers just have a more complete roster than the Celtics. I gotta trust the process here. 

NBA Playoffs: Storylines, predictions for Boston Celtics vs ...

Prediction: 76ers 4-3

Ditto for what I said about the Magic. Raptors vs. Nets isn't the most attractive matchup, but just be impressed how well the Nets did in the 2019 free agency. Kevin Durant receives a bonus for making the playoffs too, a real life representation of getting an A after doing nothing for the group. More impressive to me though: The Raptors are a better team without Kawhi Leonard. Will they win a championship again? I don't think so, but that doesn't take away from them being a top team in the NBA. Side note: Karma will catch up to them for how they did DeMar. Just probably not in the first round of the playoffs.

Raptors vs. Nets: Toronto's suffocating defense, Caris LeVert's ...

Prediction: Raptors 4-0

No comments:

Post a Comment